Meal prepping is the only way I’m able to eat like this every day. Planning your meals in advance will ensure your daily nutrient intake of protein, carbohydrate and fat is being met and prevents you from making poor food choices.
Thai Poached Chicken in Coconut milk
2 x 400ml coconut milk (full fat)
500ml of stock
Chicken breast (I used 1.2kg Macro range from Cole’s, its cheaper to buy in bulk)
2 dried chillis*
6 Kaffir lime leaves, torn*
knob of ginger sliced*
2 stalks of lemongrass ( outer layers removed and smash the end)*
2 tbsp fish sauce
1 tbsp coconut sugar
juice of 2 limes*
- Place the chilli, kaffir lime leaves, ginger and lemongrass into the coconut milk and the stock, bring to the boil for 5 minutes, reduce to a simmer for 10 mins (even longer if you have time, more time= more flavour).
- Place chicken breast into the coconut milk, bring back to the boil, reduce to a simmer for 10 mins, then take off heat , cover and let sit for 15mins till cooked through.
- While the chicken is poaching I like to cook my rice and steam my broccoli over the top.
- Once chicken is cooked, remove from pot and using two forks, start shredding. Obviously you can slice or leave whole, up to you. Place the chicken aside while you finish off the soup.
- Strain the coconut/stock mixture into another saucepan, add the fish sauce, coconut sugar, lime juice and bring back to the boil for another couple of minutes-just to dissolve the sugar. Adjust the seasoning to suit your palate, take off heat ready to divide into containers or store in a large container.
- Serve with brown rice, steamed greens, fresh coriander, chilli and roasted cashews.
Meal breakdown goes as follows:
- 85g chicken breast
- 1/4 cup brown rice
- 1 cup greens
- 10 cashews
- 150ml soup
I made 7 mini meals and with any leftover chicken, store in the fridge ready to add to salads or wraps.The remainder of the soup can be placed in the freezer.
*all these items can be stored in your freezer