On a bit of a Tapas roll this weekend, creating and making some awesome finger food. A lot of my creations come from what I’ve got in the fridge – lamb, haloumi, grape tomatoes and greek yoghurt!
Just marinate the lamb overnight in rosemary, garlic, lemon juice and rice bran oil, prepare the tomato and haloumi, thread all the ingredients onto the skewers and place in fridge until ready to cook.
Cook on the BBQ or just pan fry till golden and delicious!
Marinated Lamb Skewers with Haloumi and Grape Tomatoes
400-500g lamb leg steak, diced into 2 cm pieces
2 tablespoons fresh rosemary, chopped or 1/2 tablespoon of dried rosemary
4 garlic cloves, smashed with a back of a knife and roughly chopped
juice of 1 lemon
2 tablespoon rice bran oil, olive oil or grapeseed oil
180g Haloumi, sliced then cut into squares
1 punnet of grape or cherry tomatoes halved
bamboo skewers, short or long
Yoghurt Dipping Sauce
1/4 cup greek yoghurt
1/4 teaspoon of dried oregano or 1 teaspoon of fresh chopped oregano
1 garlic clove, cruched
dash of lemon juice and salt & pepper
- Combine the lamb, rosemary, garlic, lemon juice and oil in a container, season and marinate at least 4 hours or overnight.
- Make the dipping sauce ahead of time to enable the flavours to be absorbed. Whisk all dipping sauce ingredients together in a small bowl, place in fridge till ready to use. Will last 3-4 days.
- To assemble the skewers, thread the haloumi on very slowly, (turning the skewer as you go, learn’t the hard way and mine kept breaking) then a piece of lamb, more haloumi, half a tomato, lamb, haloumi and tomato.
- Repeat this process until all ingredients are used, cook immediately on a fry pan/bbq or place in fridge till ready.
- Serve with dipping sauce as finger food or as a meal with flatbread and salad.