I’ve struggled with a name for this curry paste, so I’m just going generic “Thai Curry “. Its the colour of a yellow curry, with flavours of a green curry and a laksa mixed in. Ive kept the paste very mild in the heat department, so if you like it hot, double the chilli’s or use a couple of birds eyes. I use this paste for fish cakes, roast chicken, chicken meatballs, pork and quinoa patties and soups. The paste will last 3 weeks in the fridge and 2-3 months in the freezer.
Thai Curry Paste
( makes about 1 cup )
1 tablespoon coriander seeds
2 teaspoons cumin seeds
1 teaspoon black peppercorns
2 teaspoons shrimp paste
12 dried long red chillies, soaked in boiling water for 30 mins or fresh, roughly chopped
5 cm piece of galangal, peeled and roughly chopped*
300g asian shallots or golden shallots
2 tablespoons oil
4 lemongrass stems, white part only, smashed and chopped*
12 small garlic cloves, roughly chopped
100 g coriander , roots and leaves, roughly chopped*
6 kaffir lime leaves, chopped*
zest of 1 lime*
2 teaspoons salt
2 teaspoons ground tumeric
1 teaspoon paprika
- Dry roast the coriander and cumin seeds over medium heat, shaking the pan constantly, 2-3 minutes.Place the toasted spices and peppercorns into a mortar and pestle, pound until finely broken down.
- Wrap the shrimp paste in a small piece of foil and place under the grill, about 3 mins, turning twice. You will be able to smell it.
- Place ground spices, shrimp paste and chopped chilli’s into a food processor , pulse a couple if times. Add the rest of the ingredients and process until a paste forms. You will need to scrape down the sides every 30 secs.
- Store in jars with a layer of oil on top.
* I buy all these ingredients in bulk or when on special and store them in my freezer.
( serves 4-6 )
1 tablespoon peanut oil
1 onion, sliced
2 to 3 tablespoons of homemade curry paste
500 g chicken breast or thigh, chopped
400 ml coconut cream or milk
500 ml chicken stock or water
6 kaffir lime leaves, left whole
200 to 300 g vegetables of choice
15 g thai basil, roughly torn
2 tablespoons fish sauce
Juice of 1 lime
1 to 2 tablespoons of soft brown sugar
Garnish with roasted peanuts, shredded kaffir lime, thai basil and sliced fresh chilli
Brown Rice to serve
- Place a large wok over medium heat and fry off the onion in the peanut oil until translucent, add the curry paste and continue cooking until fragrant.
- Pour in coconut cream/milk, stock and kaffir lime leaves, increase heat and bring to the boil, reduce heat to med, add chicken and vegetables and summer until cooked.
- Lastly add basil, fish sauce, lime juice and sugar, adjust to suit taste.
- Serve with brown rice and garnishes.